It’s a jam-packed edition of our monthly recap of new features on social media!
March 2021 was a busy month for Clubhouse, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Twitter, and YouTube (whew.. did we get them all 😅?)
Clubhouse 👋 | New Features | March 2021
- Announced its Creator First accelerator to help 20 emerging creators build their audience, connect with brands, and monetize their rooms.
Facebook 👍 | New Features | March 2021
- Updated its video monetization eligibility criteria to the following:
- (i) 10K+ followers
- (ii) 5+ active videos (a new requirement)
- (iii) 600K+ minutes viewed in the last 60 days.
- Previously only videos that were at least three minutes long were counted, but now all video content is considered toward the 600K watch time criterion.
- Reduced the video length requirement for monetization from 3 mins to 1 min.
- Will begin testing ads in Facebook Stories.
- Started giving away free Stars in certain live streams to make users more familiar with the tipping feature. It also began testing Stars for video on demand.
- Rolled out its paid online events feature to 24 more countries.
- Quietly shared that Facebook Analytics will be deprecated after June 30, 2021.
Instagram 📷 | New Features | March 2021
- Launched Live Rooms, allowing up to 4 creators to broadcast together.
- Rolled out new teen safety features, preventing adults from sending DMs to users under 18 that don’t already follow them, monitoring suspicious user behavior, and sending safety prompts to underage users.
- Testing a new Remix feature that allows users to record their own video to play alongside an original a la TikTok Duets.
- Confirmed it’s building a version of Instagram for kids (ages 13 and under). What could go wrong?
LinkedIn 🤝 | New Features | March 2021
- Introduced a new Creator Mode that allows users to highlight their posts and articles at the top of their profile and add 5 hashtags to improve their profile discovery. There are also rumors of monetization options in the works.
- Announced it’s working on a live audio Clubhouse competitor.
Snapchat 👻 | New Features | March 2021
- Released Lens Studio 3.4 with more AR features, including 24-point hand tracking, full-body segmentation, and 3D multi-body tracking.
- Like Instagram, Snap is also testing a new Remix feature to compete with TikTok Duets.
TikTok ♪ | New Features | March 2021
- Officially rolled out its new Q&A feature globally.
Twitter 🐦 | New Features | March 2021
YouTube 🎥 | New Features | March 2021
- Launched Shorts (its new short-form video feature) in the U.S., driving an increase from 3.5B to 6.5B daily views.
- Enabled creators to sell digital goods through Merch Shelf.
- Added additional checks during the video upload process for copyright violations and ad suitability.
- Testing a new “Product in this Video” feature to autodetect products in videos to enable more social commerce.
Did we miss any new social media feature in our breakdown? If so let us know!
Looking for software to manage influencer marketing campaigns? Schedule a demo here!
Want to learn more about Paladin? You’re just a click away!